Gokyo Valley Trek
Trip Cost Starts from US$ 1250
Gokyo Valley Trek is a grand trip in the Everest region of Nepal, renowned as an alternative trek of the Everest Base Camp. The trail to Gokyo Trek is less trafficked and the attractions are abundant. It is an adventurous journey, which is demanding of your physical fitness and acclimatization. Gokyo Valley Trek offers sensational and panaromic mountain views along with the exploration of crystal clear turquoise lakes.
After exploring the cultural heritages around the Kathmandu valley, you fly to Lukla and begin the trek above the Dudh Koshi River and the forest. Crossing various suspension bridges, you reach to Jorsalle, from where Sagarmatha National Park begins. The UNESCO listed natural heritage site is the home to various floras and faunas including endangered animlas like musk deer, snow leopard and red panda. The trail continues all the way to the Sherpa town of Namche Bazaar aka the gateway to Himalayas. Exploring the Sherpa culture, heritages and communities, you can have a good acclimatization.
Approaching the journey to the Gokyo Valley, you walk through the blooming rhododendron and pine forest towards Dole with a chance to see Musk Deer. Passing the first and second Gokyo Lakes, the trek ultimately leads to the third lake, beside where the Gokyo valley lies. On the exploration day, hiking to Gokyo Ri, there comes an opportunity to witness the Himalayan wonders including Mt. Everest, Lhotse, Cho Oyu and Makalu. During the hike to Gokyo Ri, Ngozumba glacier - the longest glacier in the Himalayas can be seen as well. Autumn and Spring are the best seasons for this trek.
Marvel Adventure offers the special Gokyo Valley Trekking with professional guides and porters. Either nature or cultural charmings, we let you feel awesome in the Himalayas.
- Sightseeing of cultural and natural heritages
- Culturally rich and generous Sherpa villages
- Exploration of ancient Buddhist monasteries
- Explore tranquil Gokyo Lakes and Ngozumpa Glacier
- Panaromic views of four mountains over 8000m
- A photographer's paradise
As you arrive at the Tribhuvan Int'l Airport, our representative will be there to welcome you to the Land of Himalayas. Then you will be transferred to your hotel through private vehicle. Then you will walk to the office for final payment and pre trip discussion.
You will be exploring the cultural heritages around the Kathmandu valley including the Pashupatinath temple, Swayambhunath, Bouddhanath Stupa and Kathmandu Durbar Square.Evening pre-trip discussion and introduce with our fellow trekking staff for your adventure trip.
After a picturesque flight for about 35 minutes to Lukla, we will soon have breakfast and walk down to Phakding. This is comparatively easier day in your trek.
The day will start off walking along the banks of Dudhkoshi River. It will probably be one of the most interesting day of your trek as you will have to cross 5 suspension bridges back and forth, the 5th one being world's 123rd tallest suspension bridge. After 3 hours walk, we will enter the Sagarmatha National Park, enjoy some scenic views and then walk steep uphill to Namche.
We are going for a day hike up to Sagarmatha National Park Headquarter, which is a perfect view point of various mountains including Mt.Everest. You will then visit a museum where you will get lots of knowledge about glacier landscape, Sherpa culture, floras and faunas and many more. Then you will be observing the statue of legendary climber Tenzing Norgay Sherpa as well. Then you will walk up to Hotel Everest View (3880m) which is also a perfect view point for Everest, Lhotse and Amadabalam .Walk down to Namche.
You will be going slightly uphill to Kyangjoma where you will stop for a tea break. Right after this the trail gets split into two paths, one leading the highway towards Everest base Camp and the other leading to Gokyo, which you are going to follow. You will walk steep uphill to Mongla (Just below 4000m) and then walk downhill for about an hour to Phorste Thanga (3,680m) .We are going to walk through the Rhododendron and Pine forest towards Dole with a chance to see Musk Deer (One of the Endangered Species).
As we are walking above 4200m, we won't be seeing any vegetation. It's going to be a short walk, just about 3-4 hours in the day. While walking through the hilly landscape, you will have a perfect view of Thamserku, Khantega and many other mountains. After crossing several small villages, you will reach Macchermo.
The trail follows quite gently towards Gokyo where will be walking beside the 1st and 2nd lake.The first lake seems quite small but it provides a wonderful scenario as few pairs of ducks can be seen swimming over the lake. Then we will cross the second lake. Gokyo valley is beside the 3rd lake.
Early morning hike to Gokyo Ri. It will be a tough 600m climbing. Once you reach the top of Gokyo Ri, all your hard work will be changed to happiness as you can enjoy panoramic sunrise views over the mountain ranges. Then you will walk down to Gokyo, have breakfast and then trek down to Macchermo.
We will continue our trek down the Sherpa villages of Khumjung, leaving the mountains in the backdrop. We will head back towards Namche, the vibrant Sherpa town. Here you can buy souvenirs, tokens and many more. You can relax and enjoy the views as it provides a lot of options for refreshment.
An early breakfast in Namche is followed by a downhill hike to Lukla. Retracing our path, we will walk down to Lukla which will take around 7 hours. On reaching Lukla, you can celebrate the completion of the trek. Overnight at lodge in Lukla.
We will fly back to Kathmandu in the early morning. On your flight back to Kathmandu you can have breathtaking views of the mountains, rivers, forests and many more. As you arrive to Kathmandu, you will be transferred to your hotel by a private vehicle.
A representative from Marvel Adventure will transfer you to the airport from where you’ll board a flight to your next destination. Bid farewell to the nation of Himalayas with the plan to visit again.
- Airport pick up and drop by private vehicle
- Three nights standard twin sharing Hotel in Kathmandu with breakfast
- Guided Kathmandu sightseeing tour
- All Domestic flights and airport tax as listed in the itinerary
- Standard meals (breakfast, lunch and dinner) during the trek
- Government license holder guide
- A strong and helpful porter with proper equipments (1 porter for 2 people)
- Salary,food,accommodaation and insurance for guide and porters
- TIMS (Trekking Information Management System) card
- Tea house/lodge accommodation during the trek
- Sagarmatha National Park entry permit
- Comprehensive first aid kit
- Government taxes and official expenses
- International airfare and taxes
- Nepal entry visa fee
- Your Travel Insurance (compulsory)
- Lunch and dinner whilst in Kathmandu
- Entrance fee in the heritage sites during city tour.
- All the expenses of personal nature
- Any kind of drinks and desserts during the trek
- Tips for guide and porter (Tipping is expected)
Amazing Trekking in Nepal
I had an incredible time during my trek to EBC and Gokyo Lakes! Originally, my boyfriend and I were considering doing the trek on our own, but I'm so happy we decided to do a tour instead. Our experience was so seamless - no need to worry about deciding about an itinerary, which guesthouse to stay at, or getting lost on routes. They take care of everything for you (hire porters, take care of TIMS card, national park permit, book flights, sleeping bags, etc) and at a reasonable price!
We were always in good hands with our guide Nir. Not only was he was very knowledgable and experienced guide, but also incredibly kind. When I was feeling some of the negative side effects of the altitude, he was always sure to check in on me and make me feel better. Plus he always had a good stash of Happy happy's(chocolate chip cookies) available! I'd highly recommend Marvel Adventure to anyone considering doing trekking in Nepal - especially with Nir!
Travel insurance is mandatory for all clients undertaking any trip. It should provide adequate security for the full duration of the tour to cover personal injury, medical expenses, repatriation expenses, helicopter rescue and loss of luggage. Make sure that your insurance policy covers up to 2500-5000 meters of altitude.
2. Packing List
- Sun-Cream and Lip Balm with high SPF
- T-shirt, Vests and Shirt
- Fleece Jacket
- Down Jacket
- Waterproof Jacket and Trousers
- Warm Gloves
- Hiking Boots
- 3-4 pairs of socks
- Day pack (30-40 liters)
- Torch light
- Water bottle (Minimum 2 liters)
- Small Hand Towel
- Sleeping Bag for up to -15 Degree Celsius
3. Guide and Porter
We provide experienced, knowledgeable and honest guide with good communication skills in English language to make your trip wonderful. The guide will provide all the information about the mountains, different histories, cultures, traditions and many more. We will provide 1 porter for 2 people. The porters are helpful as well as strong and will carry a maximum of 25 kgs combined. After giving the best services along with the hard works up in the mountains, guides and porters expect some tips from your side. Tipping culture is very common in tourism sector.
4. Altitude Sickness
Altitude sickness, also known as Acute Mountain Sickness (AMS), is a pathological effect of high altitude on humans, caused by acute exposure to low partial pressure of oxygen at high altitude. It commonly occurs above 3000 meters. It presents as a collection of nonspecific symptoms, acquired at high altitude or in low air pressure, resembling a case of "flu, carbon monoxide poisoning, or a hangover". However, most people can ascend to 3000 meters without difficulty.
Primary Symptoms of Altitude Sickness:
- Lack of appetite, nausea, or vomiting
- Fatigue or weakness
- Dizziness or lightheadedness
- Swelling of hands, feet, and face
- Shortness of breath upon exertion
- Persistent rapid pulse
- General malaise
Ascending slowly is the best way to avoid altitude sickness. Avoiding strenuous activity such as skiing, hiking, etc. in the first 24 hours at high altitude reduces the symptoms of AMS. Alcohol and sleeping pills are respiratory depressants, and thus slow down the acclimatization process and should be avoided. Alcohol also tends to cause dehydration and exacerbates AMS. Thus, Marvel Adventure strictly suggests avoiding alcohol consumption in the first 24–48 hours at a higher altitude.
Guides and porters from Marvel Adventure are very much familiar with this problem due to their experience. All of them are trained with basic medical trainings and hence they definitely can help you.
- The above information is a guide and standard template of what we provide. Our trip can be customized at your request to accommodate your specific requirements.
- Flights might get delayed by few hours or even a day or two due to bad weather, poor visibility or other unavoidable circumstances. Marvel Adventure is committed to provide the best possible services to make your trip pleasant and successful. However we and our related organization shall not be responsible for any changes in the itinerary due to unavoidable circumstances such as government restriction, political instability, flight delays and cancellations, natural disasters, sickness & accident and similar others which are beyond our control. So, we highly recommend you to have some spare days. We also offer various optional programs in case of cancellation of the trip. Moreover we would like to notify you that the risk of damages, injuries or death resulting from these unavoidable factors lies within you.