You can either take tourist bus or enjoy drive in a private car as per the size of group. Overland journey takes you on scenic and exciting highway to reach at beautiful and touristic Pokhara city. On reaching Pokhara, transfer to your hotels close to the bank of calm and serene Phewa Lake with free afternoon for short walks around the lake side. You also have the option of 30 minutes scenic flight to Pokhara from Kathmandu.
Khopra Ridge Trek
- Destination: Nepal
- Trip Difficulty: Moderate
- Transport: Private Vehicle / Tourist Bus
- Food: Breakfast + Lunch + Dinner
- Accommodation: Lodge to lodge
- Max Elevation: 4500m
- Adventure facing close stunning views of both Annapurna and Dhaulagiri mountain range
- Walk from popular trail and into remote corners within isolated pockets of Annapurna Himalaya
- Serene lovely rhododendron and pine forest facing incredible views of high snow capped peaks
- Away from mainstream trekking trails into tranquil environment in the shade of high mountains
- Enjoy pleasant scenic walks to high Khopra Ridge in between high Himalayan range of peaks
- Exciting walks to beautiful and holy Lake of Khair fed from the glacier of Annapurna mountains
Day to Day Itinerary
Day 1 Drive or fly to Pokhara (860 m) - 30 mins flight or 6 hrs. drive
Day 2 Drive to Nayapul (1,100 m) and Trek to Tikhedhunga (1,450 m)
A short drive from Pokhara to reach foot of high hills as ride takes you past towns and villages facing grand views of rolling hills with Annapurna Mountains and Mt. Machhapuchare.
On reaching Nayapul, first day walk begins past village of Bhirethati, encountering trekkers, and mule, donkey trains as route lead on ancient Trans-Himalayan Salt Trade Route of Nepal to Tibet via Ghorepani and beyond towards high Mustang area.
Walk continues with climb past farm villages with views of waterfalls as day walk completes on reaching at Tikhedhunga village in the comfort of a nice lodge after a good day walks.
Day 3 Trek to Ghorepani (2,874m) - 06 hrs
From Tikhedhunga, climb starts for near two hours on stone steps all the way to Ulleri village facing views of Annapurna South and Mt. Machhapuchare. After steep climb walk gets better from Ulleri onward past Banthati village with pleasant walks into cool forest filled with oaks, pines and rhododendron trees.
Route continues with ascents gaining more heights to reach Ghorepani village in the backdrop of world’s 7th highest Mt. Dhaulagiri range. Ghorepani village is situated on old Trans-Himalayan Salt Trade Route that led beyond past Upper Mustang at Tibet border.
The local peoples are Poon / Magar, ethnic hill tribes of Western Nepal. Ghorepani is also very famous as pathway to Poon Hill which offers super wide angle views of world’s three highest peaks and range of other mountains with striking sunrise and sunset.
Day 4 Morning hike to Poon Hill for sunrise and continue to Sauta (2,215 m) - 05 hrs.
Early morning hike to Poon-Hill, a fantastic view point for stunning sunrise over array of peaks of Mt. Dhaulagiri, Mt. Manaslu to Annapurna and as far towards Ganesh Himal in east horizon with Mt. Machhapuchare.
After an enjoyable time with magnificent sunrise and mountain views, walk back to Ghorepani for breakfast and continue downhill to reach at Sauta village after Chitre village, where route diverts from main villages and trekking trails to Sauta village for overnight stop.
Sauta is a farm village situated in the midst of a lovely forest with rhododendron, magnolia and oaks tree lines with fabulous views of Mt. Dhaulagiri and Annapurna South.
Day 5 Trek to Chistibung (3,010 m) - 05 hrs.
From Sauta, morning walks on and off the beaten trail past farm fields and scattered villages, heading north within rhododendron and bamboo forest with slow climb to reach an open wide area at Chistibung, a small place with few small huts serving as tea-house for overnight stop.
Day 6 Trek to Khopra Ridge (3,870 m) - 04 hrs.
Hike starts in the morning to reach Khopra Ridge, our target and highlight destination of the adventure. Carry on with steep climb for few hours as altitude gains on leaving tree lines for short alpine bushes and shrubs. Some wildlife like Himalayan Thar, Danphe (National Bird of Nepal) might come across around the area.
Few hours of scenic walks to reach our final destination and overnight stop at Khopra ridge. The majestic views of Mt. Dhaulagiri range, Vara-Shikhar (Annapurna Fang) and Annapurna South can be seen from Khopra ridge.
Day 7 At Khopra Ridge with an optional hike to holy Khair Lake (5-6 hrs. round trip)
At Khopra Ridge with rest day after few days of continuous hike. Interested and energetic peoples can enjoy long hike of the day to reach holy Khair Lake at the height of 4,247 m high.
Religious festival is held once a year during month of August in this holy Khair Lake whereby pilgrims and villagers from surrounding area visits to offer prayer and worship Lord Shiva with dip and bathe in icy water.
Day 8 Trek to Dobato (3,420 m) - 05 hrs.
After wonderful experience on top Khopra ridge, start hike in the morning with long descend towards east past grazing pasture fields and walk in the midst of rhododendron forest to reach our overnight stop at Dobato. It is a summer grazing land of local cattle herders where you can also enjoy grand views of Annapurna South and Mt. Machhapuchare.
Day 9 Trek to Ghandruk (1,950 m) - 06 hrs.
From Dobato, walk down to Tadapani; a small settlement with views of Annapurna peaks. Then continue downhill on main trail to reach at large Ghandruk village for overnight stop.
You can marvel the views in the afternoon and explore this large Gurung village of Annapurna region. This village has a long historic tradition of supplying some of the finest soldiers as Gorkha soldiers to British and Indian Armies.
Day 10 Trek to road head and Drive to Pokhara - 04 hrs.
Morning starts with a slow descend for an hour to reach bottom of a hill and close to Modi River. From here, continue on the winding trail through rice terraced and farm villages for short drives to reach at Pokhara. Then transfer to your hotel by the lake for overnight stop around this lovely and fascinating place.
What to Expect
- Airport pick up and drop by private vehicle
- Standard meals (breakfast, lunch and dinner) during the trek
- Government license holder guide
- Strong and helpful porter with proper equipments (1 porter for 2 people)
- Salary,food,accommodation and insurance for guide and porters
- Lodge accommodation during the trek
- All land transportation as per itinerary
- TIMS (Trekking Information Management System) card
- Annapurna Conservation Area Project (ACAP) entry permit
- Two nights standard Hotel in Pokhara with breakfast
- Comprehensive first aid kit
- Government taxes and official expenses
What's not included
- International Airfare and taxes
- Nepal entry visa fee
- Your Travel Insurance (compulsory)
- Lunch and dinner in Pokhara
- Entrance fee in the heritage sites during city tour.
- All the expenses of personal nature
- Any kind of drinks and desserts during the trek
- Tips to guide and porter (Tipping is expected)